Monday, May 24, 2010

How many guinea pigs to keep together?

I currently have 27 guinea pigs. 6 are male, 21 are female. I currently have each female paired with another, except for 5 of them, which are paired with (nuetered) males. The other male can not be housed with other guinea pigs as he has a disease that is contagious to other guinea pigs if he rubs up against them. But I think I need to minimize the number of cages I have (just a little). So how many guinea pigs should I keep in a cage that is around 50" x 52"? Just would like to know (I already know how to introduce them and everything else.)
Answers:
That size cage is suitable for about 4 GP's. They need room to excercise and if you put too many in there, you will be cleaning it 3 or 4 times a day to keep them healthy. How about trying to sell some of your pigs to a local pet store.
try about 7 piggies. give them room but not to much room. and with males and females your okay there.

No comments:

Post a Comment