Saturday, May 22, 2010

How long would you look for a lost pet?

If you lost your dog or cat, how long would you continue looking for your pet? Until they are found? Forever? Or, 3 days? 4 days? 3 weeks? 3 months?

Also, let me know where you are from and if you have any pets- dogs or cats?
Answers:
I used to work at an animal shelter. I have seen people find their lost pets after years of looking. Once a husky who had been missing for 7 years turned up at our shelter; another time a Scottish Terrier who had been stolen from his yard 5 years previously came in. Both were reunited with shocked but happy owners.
Cats also can be gone for years before returning, and they are known to hitch rides on planes etc. Fewer cats are reunited with their owners than dogs because people do not give them as much identification (tags, tatoos, microchips) as they do dogs. About 54% of lost dogs are identified and reunited with their owners, only about 4% of cats, at least at the shelter where I worked.
I've never seen a lost bird reunited with its owner, perhaps because the climate in Canada is too harsh for the tropical birds we tend to keep as pets. Also, pet birds are much more vulnerable to predators than wild ones.
As a child, I lived in a rural area and lost my cat . He never came back, but I kept looking for a year. Now that I am older, I do not let my cats go out unattended as I've seen all the terrible things that can happen to them. Also, they can put a sizeable dent in the songbird population as they are not native to North America.
4ever
About 2 months I think!
I Wouldnt Stop Looking.
if a pet runs away from u then believe that if it misses u it will come back so dont truble urself in that i mean that you shouldnt look for it.
Cats will survive a lot longer than dogs out in the world. Unfortunately for cats they usually go into sewers, and get lost and lord knows where they end up coming out if they ever do get out. So if you have lost a cat, you can bet it's in a sewer system.
I'm from Maine USA
i have 2 cats and 2 dogs
i look for days weeks and months. i put up posters call the vets, shelters and animal control. and just hope for the best:)
Until I found an answer! I would probably stop actively looking for it after a few months, but I would still ask and think about it. I don't think any true pet lover/owner could forget about a missing pet without knowing at least what happened to it.
If I lost either of my two cats, I would never give up looking. Every time I'd go anywhere, the thought of my cat would be with me, and I would keep looking. I had a Pomeranian for 13 years, and she passed away two months ago, I miss her very much.
Names Mat. I have lost a few animals. We searched for about 2 weeks until we figured he's be ok. But we still look around where we lost him everynow and then. But don't give up. I currently have 3 dogs and 4 cats.
Until I found the body..which was in my case. I have 2 dogs, a toy poodle, and a yorkie. Prior was a poodle mix, was the one I lost, and a terrier mix, I had to put to sleep. They were both adopted pets. It's heart wrenching to loose a pet. But THEY, and the love and comfort is irreplaceable..
I lost a cat 10 years ago and I still look for her. I think the posters stayed up for 2 months.

I think you would net get frustrated but you would not have time to keep searching as intensively, and you would run out of things to do, because you can only call the shelters and the cops so many times. So you just live your life and hope the animal did not suffer. I still let my cats outside, though I never feed birds or anything else that would draw more victims to my yard.
One dog
I would not stop looking for her
United states
I once lost my dog. I was walking him one night after my aunt and uncle left. I turned to walk back to the house and next thing I knew, he was gone. He slipped out of his collar and I didn't even realize it. We kept looking for him. We called animal clinics and kept checking to see if he was found. 4 days later, my dad got some good news. Someone had found him and took care of him. They had reported a found dog, so that's how we found him again. It turns out he tried to follow my aunt and uncle (who knows why) and got tired and had to stop. That's where he was discovered by these kind people.

We originally got him because a friend of a friend of my dad's had found him wandering the Ben Franklin Bridge (major bridge that connects Philadelphia to New Jersey) at around 1 o'clock in the morning. He was a very lucky pooch.
I would look for as long as I thought there was a chance I would find the pet.

I have 9 pets - 2 cats, a rabbit, 2 snails, 2 snakes and 2 fish.
I would look for my pet 'till i found it. or till i know uts dead
I have 2 dogs and 4 cats from Idaho. I lost a dog over 5 years ago and I still hope for her return though I am sure I will never see her again. So because it has been so long I would not get your hopes up but I wouldn't take the signs down yet. Good luck and i really hope you find your pet.
I think i owuld only look for it for about 3 days i would let the dound know about whats it looks like and if they got anything in that looked like that if they could please call me i would leave them with information about it and i would put up signs then after i was done looking i would wait for a phone call or something but i would never give up on hoping for it to come back.
I'd keep looking as long as it takes.

I believe in preventative measures though. I don't let my pets run loose throughout the neighborhood. All of them have collars with tags or microchips. I keep good, currently photos of all of them If they should get loose, I think I have a good chance of recovering them.

No comments:

Post a Comment