Saturday, May 22, 2010

how long does it take to brake a horse?


Answers:
Depends on the horse.my clydesdale/TB cross took about a year and a half to be completely childsafe. She may have been an exception, but she was very laid back and smart. I started her at three years old and by four I'd put about anyone on her.
depends on the horse. a horse is usually slightly green until they're 9. but they are usually rideable and fairly safe after about 4 or five. but that depends on the horse, the quality of training, and when they're started.
It's better if you can gentle it rather than break it. It might take a little longer, but you'll have an animal that trusts you.
Each horse will have a different time as each horse is different with it's own riding ability.

Each trainer will have his or her own riding style and training style that either can conflict, go along with or extend slightly the process of the horse becoming broke.

My mare took 3 years with a lot of ground manners and riding everyday that took me switching of 3 trainers to find the right quality we (my horse and I) needed. She had a lot of behavior problem from being abused and unproperly trained (man handled to the point of fear of males).

My gelding, who I breed my mare for, only took me 4 months to break in the saddle and 1 year of walking, troting, loping at age 3.5 and at age 6 now, he mastered side stepping both ways. No trainers what so ever, just me.

I have seen horses be broke with in 6 months and I have talk to a few owners who said it took them a few years.

Depends when the horse is started, what problems the horses have and the quality of the training being done.
as long as it takes you to pull back on the reins and get the horse to stop.
No really my neighbor's horse took about six months to break and still needed alot of training after that. So I would say a year or two.
not long, just pull back on the reins and say "Whoa"
One stride after you ask for a whoa.

To "break" a horse can take 20 minutes everyday for a week. By then the horse is use to having a person on his back.

Anything else is called training and that takes years.
Do you mean "brake" as in stop? Or "break" as in train for saddle?

How long it takes to "break" depends on how much training you want to give the horse. Some people can work with a horse who is only halter-broke and by the end of the day have him tolerate a rider sitting on his back. Does that mean he's ready for shows or trails? no.

First is getting the young horse used ot handling and being haltered. He needs to be taught to be lead around. He also need to be taught to respect and trust the human handler, never biting kicking or striking. After he's accepting the saddle there's along process of teaching him aides and getting him used to balancing a rider. Then he's got to be trained in the discipline you wish to pursue which could take months or years.

For example I ride dressage. A higher level dressage horse may not be ready for his Grand Prix shows until he's had 10 years of training and showing experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment