Saturday, May 22, 2010

how long untill i can hold them..?

how long till i can hold my baby hamsters after they are born. percisely. i dont want an answer like until their eyes open..or in a few weeks. i mean specifically how long until i can hold them?
p.s. if it's important they are dwarf hamsters
Answers:
a week :)
about 30 days ofter they are born.
i dont have a specific answer but you shouldnt hold them until they have a good amount of fur

ps.you also have to seperate the males from the females(including the mother)wen the get older unless you want more hampsters
we breed hamsters and last litter had 5 babies and my husband who has been breeding always says that you should never handle them until they stop being fed only by there mother so it is hard to give a exact time. as soon as they start to eat normal food and dont suckle from mummy as much then it is fine. that way if the mum disowns them they can still feed themselves.
(a few times i have cuddled them when they were only a few days old and they were tiny and there mum didnt dis-own them but i wouldnt recomend it)
I know that they're very different so you probably can't go by this, but when my rat had babies, she let me hold them right off. She was in the nest and I had my hands in there petting them and she was cool with it. She didn't ever go after them, or even try to go after the ones that died. Like I said for hampsters it's different, but hey if you wanna play with babies, get a rat.

No comments:

Post a Comment