Friday, July 31, 2009

How do you train chinchillas to walk in their exercise balls?

Today I went to Petsmart and spent $17 on an exercise ball (kind of like a giant hamster ball) for my chinchilla.. and I put him in it, and he's just sitting there. I don't think he knows how to use it. How could I teach him how?
Answers:
You don't my little guy named Posone sat there for awhile everythime. Finally he got the idea and loved it.
Try rolling it slightly so it will force him to move with it. He will eventually get the hang of it. I have a degu which is a chilean squirel and cousin to your chinchilla. He has a giant ball too but it took him a few trys to get him to like it. Now i can never get him out. Entice you lil guy in there with a treat and then try what i said.
Please be very careful using the exercise ball as a chinchilla can overheat very quickly which can be deadly. Chins prefer to run and jump on things in a ball they can't do that. And be careful as they can catch their toes in the slots and cut them or completely amputate the toe.
well, first put it on a smooth floor, not carpet, in a cold room, so he doesn't over heat. slightly slowly roll him a little and see if he'll start walking. just keep doing this daily and he will probably just take to it.

dont leave him in it for more than a few minutes at a time, chinnies cant take the heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment