Friday, July 31, 2009

How do you tell how old a hermit crab is?

I just purchased 3 adorable little hermit crabs. In all of the research I did before buying them I read that their average life span is 20 years, so how do I tell how old mine are? The guy at the pet store I bought them from said he didn't know how to tell their ages. *these sizes are approximate since they are all mostly in their shells* One is quite tiny, maybe the size of a nickel. The second one is a bit bigger, maybe quarter sized, and the third one is the biggest of the three. (I can't think of anything to relate his size to right off the top of my head.) Also, how do I tell if they are male or female? And if I got one of each do I need to worry about baby hermit crabs showing up? Any help will be greatly appriciated!
Answers:
Check out the Yahoo group listed below. You will get all the info you need from them. Have fun crabbing.

mom of 44 crabies
Count the candles on its birthday cake.
Cut them in half and count the rings
you cant figure out the age of a hermit crab
YOu can go to wikipedia that might help or just look at how long thier sensors are. the longer the i dont know its either stronger or older i learned about it from my sister's bioligy lab
Well, I'm guessing the crabs are quite young, considering some of the HUGE sizes I've seen. It isn't really possible to determine their age or gender, and it is practically impossible to breed hermit crabs in captivity, and most (if not all) who've tried have failed. Unless you see one hatching out of the egg in the wild, you can't really find the age out.
By how they move

No comments:

Post a Comment