Thursday, July 30, 2009

how do you know when a chicken is egg bound?

loose stools and blood
Answers:
she will have an overall sick apperance,fluffed up,not wanting to move or eat she may sit or stand in a tail tucked in type of position,if you look at her hind end you may see the area where the egg should come out protruding in an oval type shape when she strains to pass the egg here is a good site to go to to get an idea what may be going on and how to fix it
found this site when i had my own personal experience with this problem and one of my hens
the loose stools and blood sound more like coccidia to me which is very common in chickens i have enclosed another site regarding information on that,not quite as easily read but helpful
no eggs
stuff
Gross!
I dont understand your question!!
I agree with onyxpryzm. it sounds like coccidia to me, too. She also provided a good list of symptoms. In addition to what she said, you can also gently palpate the cloacal area. If the hen is eggbound you will most likely feel the egg between the two pelvic bones. The online Merck veterinary manual has some good information on common diseases of poultry and treatement for egg binding. In my experience, we have gently broken the egg to extract it, and then washed the cloacal canal with a disinfectant to prevent infection from the egg, also administering antibiotics in the water. That seemed to work well, but then I was practicing field medicine in 3rd world conditions.
check with local farmer .///////////////////////

No comments:

Post a Comment