Friday, July 31, 2009

How do you tame a skiddish billy goat?

I purchased a billy goat from a person that claimed it was a friendly family pet. It will not let me within 30 feet of it. I want my children to be able to pet and care for it like our other animals. I also need to do regular care on it. Any ideas on how to earn this goat's trust and calm it down so it can be part of the family? It is currently penned up behind an electic fence and has 3/4 of an acre to roam and forage.
Answers:
I own and operate a dairy goat farm. What I do when I get a skiddish goat is I go in the pen with them and sit in a chair. I wait until the goat comes to me and then at first I let it smell me and don't attempt to pet it. Then after it is used to coming up to me after a couple times I slowly reach over and pet it. After a while it will learn to trust you and he will come right up to you. Even though it was tame with the other people it doesn't know you and if you chase it around or your kids do it will never tame down. Does this billy goat have horns? If so be careful around it esp your kids until it gets to know you. Also this time of year is breeding season.. Sept. thru December and Billy Goats can be very aggressive this time of year even if you don't have any does around. But I wouldn't worry about it to much if the people said it was tame. Just use common sense around it and you and your kids should have a great pet.
i would try keeping it in a smaller area and at first feed it grain there and let the kids start to mingle there i am talking a small pen.you can also trim it hooves and whatever you need to do..but by feeding him there he will learn to enjoy the pen.
goat prozac?..

No comments:

Post a Comment