Sunday, August 2, 2009

how long do dwarf hamsters live?

i had my dwarf hamster for a year and it died a month ago. i dont know whether it's because they're supposed to live for a certain amount of time or because i overfed him.
Answers:
Well. that really depends. but most have a "shelf life" of 1 to 2 years.

My friend has one that lived 4 years. but we think it just wont die because it loves to torment her. lol
When I was in college I got a hamster (whos life expectancy is only a few years 1-2) and it died only a few month after i got it. I got another one and he lived for 4 years and died the day i was moving out. They arent known for living long lives and they love to eat so i dont think you can overfeed them..but maybe. Did he die of wet tail? Or natural causes?
they live for 100 years
3-5 years is there normal life span. YOu might have over fed him or if someone smokes in the house that might have killed him too!
Hamsters will not over feed, so relax on that notion. They will hide the food in different areas, making you think they are eating it much faster than they are, but they only eat when hungry, or given a tasty treat.

Dwarves live slightly shorter than Syrian hamsters, so I would say 1-2 years is the average, give or take.

Most likely, he just died of old age. It could have been other things, such as diabetes (which is common in dwarves, and hard to notice or diagnose), tumors, or even just fall. Dwarves are climbers, but they are more fragile than syrians, and a fall from the top of the bars in thier cage to the floor could cause injuries that might wind up getting infected.

I would say that it's probably just age, though.
I've gone through 3 dwarf hamsters. The first one lived for about a year and a half. A year later I got two girls, which was a mistake because one killed the other. After that I said no more hamsters. Plus, if you get a mean one, they bite, hard.
I had a dwarf hamster. I had her for a little over 2 years. You probably didn't overfeed him, maybe he died of unknown causes. Usually, dwarf hamsters last 2 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment