Sunday, August 2, 2009

How long before I can wean baby rabbits from their mother?

I have 7 baby rabbits and they are all over my house and I am wondering how long before I can wean them from their mother and sell or give them to loving families. Also when can they start eating rabbit pellets and regular food?
Answers:
You can wean them at about 7 weeks.

Birth to 3 weeks--mother's milk
3 to 4 weeks--mother's milk, nibbles of alfalfa and pellets
4 to 7 weeks--mother's milk, access to alfalfa and pellets
7 weeks to 7 months--unlimited pellets, unlimited hay (plus see 12 weeks below)
12 weeks--introduce vegetables (one at a time, quantities under 1/2 oz.)

For young adults (7 months to 1 year)

introduce timothy hay, grass hay, and oat hays, decrease alfalfa
decrease pellets to 1/2 cup per 6 lbs. body weight
increase daily vegetables gradually
fruit daily ration no more than 1 oz. to 2 oz. per 6 lbs. body weight (because of calories)
Well it is best to keep them with their mother for at least 4-5 months depending on how well they are doing. I got my 2 baby rabbits from a fair and they were about 4 months,along with another 2 that were seniors.

good luck and enjoy your babies!!

No comments:

Post a Comment