Sunday, August 2, 2009

How likely is a cat to eat a hamster?

Hi, I have 2 dwarf hamsters, and I realized 2 days ago that one of them had escaped from the cage. I have 3 dogs, and one cat, and I was wondering how likely it is that they would have killed or eaten it. None of them have been acting different, and all the cats I've had before have brought whatever they kill to me. Two of my dogs I don't expect would kill it, although one of them doesn't realize how big she is, and tries to play with anything, and one of them is a german sheperd puppy that is always eyeing my cat. If my hamster was just hiding somewhere, where is the most reasonible place it would hide? I live in a house, and it couldn't get upstairs, but it could have fallen downstairs, or be in any room on the main floor. I really worried about her, and I'm assuming she is dead, I just want to try to find her. Thank you in advance.
Answers:
it might or might not have eaten it but u should try to find it ASAP. watch the cat as she may find it for u and not eat it. look behind the fridge, they are often there - dont move it though because u could squish him. also check the stove. have some broccoli or other fresh food with u to lure him in case he's there. put a bucket out with books or something leading up to it so he can crawl to the edge. make a trail of food on the books, just a tiny bit, leading up the books and then put broccoli (no water) in the bottom of the bucket he'll fall in and be trapped and waiting for u. a small trash can or anything not too tall with smooth sides works. make sure this is in a cat-free room. since u r home u make sure his cage is on the floor open and he may sneak in for food and u can catch him. if u see him but cant grab him u might put a trash can or something like that in front of him so he'll run in it or his ball if u have one. he'll come out at night hungry if u dont find him today. look %26 listen for him. careful of doors and make sure there's no way outside--like where the washer or sink is. look around any stuffed animals or anyplace warm. how did he get out? u will want to address that once u find him.
I Might Happen. I Now Mine Wouldnt Eat One.
I don't know about eating a hampster, but if they see it running around, there are some cats that will kill them. I currently have a cat that, whenever one of the hampsters gets lose, she'll find them for me - not eat them or try to kill them - but she will literally hunt around the house for them and then sit down and wait for me to come find her so I can get the hampster back in his cage! Seriously! Want to borrow her? I wish you luck with your hampster!
uhhh yea my hamster thing ran away and my cat ate it and yea so idk it depends on the cat.
poor hamster surrounded by all them natural predators! better find it!
it could've gotten eaten. but try the corners of the rooms behind or under the furniture, cabinets, and under newspapers and magazines strewn around
its a good possiblity they did kill and eat it but ..it could be hiding some were look in shoes and under the sofa and dark places it just may be scared.if it was dead youd be smelling it..look inside the sofa it may have burrowed it self inside look under kitchen sink cupboards..clothes basket closets..in drawers behind can food ..maybe it found away to get out same way mice find ways in.i hope you find it..we have this lil rodent thing that rolls around in a ball its all fluffy..my cats go crazy wanting it.i hope you find the poor lil thing..good luck!!
It depends on the cat. One of my cats would definately, and the other wouldnt, shed play with it. If I were you, I would just make sure that the cats couldnt get into their cage. Keep the cats out of their room theyre in. Just keep them protected.
Look in the heater vents.the closets, shoes, everywhere..Good Luck.how sad..I hope you find it.
it depends on the cats personality !
I had a Syrian hamster and one time I came home and went up to my room and the hamster was running around in the middle of the floor and my cat was just watching it. I would say that probably your hamster is okay unless one of your dogs is a terrier, because they are sort of hunting dogs.
I would take notice of how your animals are acting. Like looking in corners under cabinets and so forth. Yes they all would "eat" or take care of your hamster. They might already have done that. Your cat would not act different if she ate the other pet. It is like a mouse or lizard to her. Just another critter. I think you hamster could go upstairs or down. Just keep looking for her.or him
yep its dead meat
Its pretty much 100% likley if they find them they will eat it my cats try to eat my pets even when there in the cage.

No comments:

Post a Comment